The resources in this post accompany a brief presentation, slides here: http://techblog.troyweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Less.pdf This will be growing over time as I add to it.
How to Compile LESS
In addition to using CodePen.io, there are various client side tools to compile your LESS for use in projects.
- CodeKit ($25) - Please, just do it. If you're on the Mac, this app is for so much more than LESS.
- Live Reload ($10) My understanding it is quite similar to Codekit but not as full featured
- LESS.app (FREE!) By the same guy who does Codekit. LESS.app evolved into Codekit.
- Simpless (FREE!) Simple tool for compiling, also allows minification.
- Simpless (FREE!) Simple tool for compiling, also allows minification. I used this when I was a Windows user.
- WinLESS (FREE!) I've also used this. Doesn't offer simplicity of other tools, but has more robust error reporting.
Where to Learn More
- LESS official site This should be your first stop for anything LESS-related.
- Twitter Bootstrap's LESS implementation Not exactly a step-by-step tutorial, but when in doubt, reference this masterpiece of LESS.
- LESS book on Amazon Pretty lame, honestly.
- Lynda.com LESS/SASS Course Only sort of lame.
- CSS Color Names Cornflowerblue, anyone?